Sunday, December 14, 2008

Booderee NP

Saturday, Dec. 13

After yesterday, we were pleased to see the sun come out. Exploring this peninsular is our priority. We hit the road a drove to the Cape St. George Lighthouse, built, I believe, in the 1830’s, however, as maritime Skippers complained about its location, another was built across the bay some thirty years later. The light house still caused problems often being mistaken for the new lighthouse because of its reflective smooth sandstone finish and was dynamited some years later.

Cape St. George Lighthouse

After the lighthouse, we drove to Moe’s Rock (not Moe’s Tavern) and then to Stoney Creek. This was a picturesque inlet but we walked the long way in requiring plenty of rock hopping. All very worthwhile in the end.

Colin and Sally at Stoney Creek

Sunday, Dec. 14

Today was more excursions of the park. We headed to the Botanic Gardens in the centre of Boogeree NP. As we walked into the park we could hear traditional Aboriginal music being played in the distance. I’m not talking Didgeridoo, I’m talking Country and Western. It seems we have stumbled into a concert in the park.

Marquee at Booderee Botanic Gardens

Sally and I, not being big fans of C&W skirted around the edge of the gardens towards the fresh water lake. We were in hunt of turtles, but our search was fruitless. The gardens, however, we literally peppered with plants of all descriptions. This garden was once and extension of the Canberra Botanic Gardens featuring there selection of non-frost resistant flora catalogue. They have hundreds of clearly labelled plant varieties.

Booderee Botanic Garden Fresh Water Lake

After visiting the garden, we continued on the road east to visit Cave Beach. We stepped out to the lookout where Sally decided to pull the pin. I ventured on alone walking past the backpack camping ground witnessing the schoolies plying frisbee (if they still call it that) on done to the beach. There were lots of grommets in the water playing in the wash.
Cave Beach
Now back up the beach and past Ryan’s Swamp to Bherwerre Beach. This is a classic hiking track through the back of the sand dunes. Lots of noisy bird life to keep me company.

Bird

The Beach was exceptional and it appeared I was the only human there in, at least, four hours.

Bherwerre Beach

As I’d told Sally I was only going to be about half and hour, I thought I’d best head back to the car park. Though, seeing a new track I’d thought I’d better take a different route back. It turned out a little longer but on the way I stumbled upon a heard of Echidna on a grassy plain behind the sand dunes. I’d never seen so many in such close proximity before. There must have been five in an area no bigger then a hundred square metres.

Echidna

Needless to say, I was late back to the car. My punishment was to put the kettle on for a cuppa tea when we returned to camp.

No comments: